A Severe Weather Watch is in Effect for Halton
Grab a jacket and be ready to take cover.
Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued a severe thunderstorm watch for Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Halton Hills, Brampton, Caledon and Mississauga."Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain," reads the watch issued at 1:15 p.m. Thursday.
“The threat of severe thunderstorms this afternoon and early this evening is associated with a cold front moving across Southern Ontario. Thunderstorms are also possible well in advance of the front.”
Strong wind gusts can toss loose objects, damage weak buildings, break branches off trees and overturn large vehicles.Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads.Remember, severe thunderstorms can produce tornadoes.
Lightning kills and injures Canadians every year.
Life hack: When thunder roars, go indoors.
The Office of the Fire Marshal and Emergency Management recommends that you take cover immediately if threatening weather approaches.
- BREAKING: First coronavirus patient confirmed at Sunnybrook Hospital
- Various milk products recalled due to sanitizer contamination
- Canadian government warning residents to beware of convincing new SIN scam
- Police investigating gunpoint bank robbery in Milton
- Burlington man wanted after alleged home invasion and assault: police