Abortion Pill Set to be Available Across Ontario at No Cost
The province has announced that women will now have access to a safe and effective alternative to surgical abortion, available for free.
The free medication is called Mifegymiso, and will be available to women with a valid health card and prescription from their doctor or nurse practitioner at participating pharmacies across the province.
Prescribers and pharmacists will, of course, have access to appropriate training prior to being able to dole out the new pill.
This new option allows women more reproductive choice, according to the province.
“We continue to make important progress helping women across Ontario gain access to the health care they need. The commitment to publicly funding Mifegymiso means women across Ontario will have fair and equal access to safe abortion without payment, judgment or exception," said Indira Naidoo-Harris, Minister of the Status of Women.
Mifegymiso is taken to medically terminate an early pregnancy up to 49 days from the start of a woman's last menstrual period. It's a combination of two drugs - mifepristone and misoprostol.
According to the province, it is considered a safe, effective, and non-invasive alternative to a surgical abortion that women can administer themselves.
As for the free aspect of the pill, making it available at no cost allows women more autonomy over their reproductive health.
Not to mention, the fact that making the pill free removes a financial barrier. Further, the province has stated that this step will increase equity of access to abortion, particularly in rural and remote areas across Ontario.
“Our government is safeguarding women’s right to choose by providing them with access to a safe and non-invasive alternative to surgical abortions free of charge across the province — making it easier to access health care where and when they need it," said Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care.
Mifegymiso is the only brand of the drug currently approved by Health Canada to be marketed in Canada.
The free abortion pill is set to roll out on Thursday, August 10, 2017.
- Here’s Everything we Know About This Huge Holiday Market in Milton
- New Retailers Officially Open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Police Seeking Assistance Identifying Break and Enter Suspects in Oakville
- Here’s What We Know About a New Restaurant Coming to Oakville
- Ontario Government Extending Beer Store and LCBO Hours in Halton
- Province Passes Legislation for Safe Zones Around Abortion Facilities
- Province Proposes Serious Changes to Areas Around Abortion Clinics
- Health Canada Issues Warning About Specific Birth Control Pill
- Prescription Drugs Are Now Free for Ontario Youth
- Ontario to Start Providing More Transitional Surgeries for Transgender Residents