Big Changes are Coming to the Oakville Public Library’s Glen Abbey Branch
Back in December of 2018, it was announced that some pretty big changes were coming to the Oakville Public Library’s (OPL) Glen Abbey branch - this is the library’s most popular location and brings in more than 350,000 people annually.
It was noted that the branch would be undergoing a massive renovation that is expected to take at least six months. A start date was not released, but now, things have changed.
The OPL recently announced that the Glen Abbey branch will be closed for approximately six months as of June 3, 2019.
“During the closure, OPL will open a temporary depot inside the Glen Abbey Community Centre,” reads an OPL news release. “At this depot, customers can pick-up and return library items, place holds, print, scan, and more.”
Customers, according to the press release, can expect many exciting additions and changes as a result of the renovations. Some of which are outlined below.
- A new space featuring technology and materials to inspire creativity in the community
- Flexible program and study spaces
- A refreshed collection of books and other library materials
- Improved operational efficiency to serve customers better
According to the OPL, the renovation is a result of changing use and role of the branch, an increased demand for library services, as well as programs and collections available in surrounding neighbourhoods.
The last time the Glen Abbey Branch closed for renovations was nearly 14 years ago.
In preparation for the closure, donated items are no longer being accepted at the branch. However, as noted, the Glen Abbey depot will be open within the Glen Abbey Community Centre for the duration of the closure.
- Oakville-Based Children’s Health Facility Gives Layoff Notices to Close to 300 Employees
- Toronto Universities Evacuated Following Bomb Threats
- UPDATE: Police Release New Photos of Suspect Following Hate Crimes in Burlington
- Two Suspects Sought Following Distraction Theft Incident in Burlington
- Here’s the Latest on What’s Happening with the Glen Abbey Golf Course in Oakville