Burlington Man Arrested for Allegedly Tricking Walmart into Buying Stolen Merchandise
A Burlington man has been arrested after allegedly returning stolen Walmart merchandise to the brand's various GTA locations in exchange for gift cards.
Halton police report that on Oct. 30, members of the Burlington Street Crime Unit arrested a man allegedly responsible for shoplifting merchandise from various Walmart stores in Burlington, Oakville and Mississauga.
Police say the suspect was observed stealing merchandise from one store and then returning the pilfered goods at another. When he would return the products, he received gift cards which police say were then used to purchase pre-paid credit cards.
Shortly after 4:30 PM, investigators reportedly stopped a motor vehicle driven by the suspect who was subsequently arrested for theft and fraud.
A search of the suspect and his vehicle resulted in the seizure of $2,505 worth of pre-paid MasterCards, pre-paid Visa cards, several other gift cards and clothing. A female passenger was also arrested in connection with the alleged fraud.
Police say 33-year-old Matthew William Ticknor was held for bail and charged with four counts of fraud under $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime. Police also charged 45-year-old Oakville woman Tara Lee Marchesin with possession of property obtained by crime. She was released on a promise to appear and is scheduled to be in court on Nov. 29.
Police say the matter is still under investigation and further charges are possible. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Constable Jeff Sawatzky of the Burlington Street Crime Unit at 905-825-4747 ext. 2384.
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Burlington Sound of Music Festival 2020 cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
- Close to 2,000 COVID-19 cases reported in Ontario, with more cases appearing in Oakville
- Driver caught going more than 100 km over the speed limit in Oakville
- Two Youths Arrested After Allegedly Fleeing From Police in Burlington
- Three Suspects Arrested in Burlington in Relation to Stolen Property
- Brothers Arrested After Vehicle Stolen in Oakville
- Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
- Burlington Support Worker Arrested for Third Time, Facing New Charges