Burlington Purse Thief Suspect Charged
The Halton Regional Police Service has received approximately 88 reports of purse thefts since the beginning of November 2017.
In these occurrences the suspects targeted female older adults whose purses and/or wallets were stolen from their shopping carts while they were distracted in some fashion: bumping their carts, asking for assistance in the store or parking lot, or returning “found” money.
On September 12th 2018 Agnieszka Jeglenic (46 years) of Poland, residing in Mississauga, was arrested by members of 30 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau for two thefts in Burlington on August 9th at No Frills and Food Basics.
She had previously been arrested for theft in Oakville which occurred on April 4th 2018 at Longo’s.
Agnieszka Jeglenic faces the following charges and was held for bail:
*Theft under $5000 (Three Counts), Fraud Under $5000 and Unauthorized use of a stolen credit card.
Halton Regional Police are reminding residents to be aware of their surroundings and stay alert for distraction type thefts when shopping in the grocery stores, malls and other retail business.
Prevention Tip: Residents are reminded to only carry the necessary identification such as Driver’s Licence or Health Card, and should try to minimize this potential loss by leaving their SIN card, birth certificate and passports securely at home.
If you become a victim of a purse or wallet theft please contact your financial services providers first, cancel you cards, and then call the Halton Regional Police to file a report.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents or other purse thefts is asked to contact Detective Constable Derek Gray of the Burlington Criminal Investigations Bureau - Vulnerable Persons and Seniors Liaison Team at 905-825-4747 ext. 2344.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers “See something, Hear something, Say something” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca, or by texting “Tip201” with your message to 274637 (crimes).
- Oakville-Based Children’s Health Facility Gives Layoff Notices to Close to 300 Employees
- Toronto Universities Evacuated Following Bomb Threats
- UPDATE: Police Release New Photos of Suspect Following Hate Crimes in Burlington
- Two Suspects Sought Following Distraction Theft Incident in Burlington
- Here’s the Latest on What’s Happening with the Glen Abbey Golf Course in Oakville
- Woman Charged in Oakville and Burlington Purse Thefts
- Woman Arrested in Connection with String of Purse Thefts in Burlington
- Suspect Charged After Purse Theft from Senior in Burlington
- Suspected Purse Thieves Targeting Women in Oakville and Burlington
- Police Nab Alleged Purse Thieves Targeting Women in Oakville and Burlington