Burlington Skyway is fixed but some closures still planned
Published November 10, 2023 at 10:12 am
The repair work that disrupted traffic on the Burlington Skyway since the beginning of summer is over.
Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation (MTO) says there will be no more full lane closures in the westbound lanes over the bridge, although nearby work to complete the project may lead to slowdowns.
The MTO says the work on the aging structure was needed to replace the modular expansion joint system that supports the bearing capacity and the movement of the bridge.
On-again/off-again work on the project shut down westbound lanes overnight, mostly on weekends since the beginning of July. The closures caused headaches for regular commuters and motorists and even caused Premier Doug Ford to step in to make scheduling changes when Niagara politicians complained that tourism had been affected.
While the main work has been completed and crews are removing equipment, work on drainage systems will continue on nearby roads. This means there will be future closures on the westbound QEW on-ramp at Fairview St./Plains Rd. and westbound QEW between Fairview St./Plains Rd. and North Shore Blvd.
inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising