Burlington Sound of Music Festival 2020 cancelled due to COVID-19 outbreak
The Sound of Music Festival is taking the year off.
The annual festival celebrating art, culture, and music has been in operation since 1980 but organizers are postponing the 2020 edition due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“In tandem with the announcement from The City of Burlington Leadership, and by strong recommendation of Canadian Health Officials, it is with great disappointment that we announce the cancellation of The Sound of Music Festival and Live on the Lake for 2020,” said organizers in an official statement Monday.
“It is important that we do our part to help contain the spread of COVID-19. The health and safety of our community, volunteers, artists, and partners has been the driving force in this difficult decision.”
Due to the ongoing threat, the City of Burlington decided to suspend all municipal-run spring programs and extend the closure of all recreation facilities, parks, playgrounds, sports fields, and city administration facilities to the end of June.
All bookings were cancelled and refunds were given, according to the city.
"I know this was a tough decision, but I wholeheartedly support it and thank the Sound of Music for putting the health of everyone first, musicians, employees, volunteers, residents, and visitors,” said Burlington Mayor Marianne Meed Ward in an official statement.
“We don't know how long this crisis will last, but decisions need to be made now for activities months ahead. There will be more tough decisions to make in the days and weeks to come. We will get through this, and we will be stronger, and when the time comes, we will celebrate together!"
Organizers of the festival said information regarding ticket deferrals and refunds for Live on the Lake will be announced Friday.
- No mask, no service? Businesses have the right to require masks on customers
- Ontario says more heath providers can reopen including dentists, optometrists
- Driver flees scene on foot after crash in Burlington
- Conservation Halton implementing reservation system for public parks
- Ontario extends emergency orders for COVID-19 pandemic until June 9
- Everything You Need to Know About The Sound of Music Festival in Burlington This Year
- Should Burlington's Sound of Music Festival Add An Extra Paid Event?
- Sum 41 and Third Eye Blind to perform at Burlington music festival this year
- This Massive Music Festival is Back in Burlington
- Which Burlington Band is Taking Top Spot at Sound of Music on Sunday?