Changes are Coming to Oakville Rental House Agreements
Renting short-term in Oakville may become harder in the near future.
According to the town of Oakville, as of Nov. 1, all short-term accommodations that offer rentals for less than 28 days will need a licence in order to operate.
Operators and/or companies will need to apply for a licence. In order to do so, they will need to do the following:
- Confirm which category of licence they require.
- Operator (applicant is the one responsible for the short-term accommodation)
- Company (platform advertising for operators)
- Ensure all requirements relating to their licence class has been met including:
- Property Owner/Tenant Consent form (complete if you wish to operate a short-term accommodation but are a tenant of the property)
- Complete the application and all requirements and bring them, along with your supporting documents and payment, to Enforcement Services located at town hall on the main floor.
- Only fully completed applications will be accepted. It may take up to 10 days for you to receive your licence.
- Once a licence has been issued you will be required to renew the licence on an annual basis.
For a full list of application requirements visit operator application.
For more information please review the by-law for details.
On March 19, 2018-Council approved the zoning amendments and the licensing by-law.
Some new points of the new rules include:
- Short-term accommodations are allowed in most housing types.
- A short-term accommodation host must be the principal resident.
- A short-term accommodation operator must obtain a town business licence for $237/year.
- Companies such as Airbnb also have to be licenced with the town.
In addition, these new regulations will allow three units within a bed and breakfast, up from two, to create fairness in the short-term accommodation and bed and breakfast markets.
Until now, short-term accommodations in the town were only allowed in approved hotels and bed and breakfasts.
- Police Investigating After Deceased Woman Located in Vehicle in Burlington
- Multiple Drivers Penalized for Speeding, Street Racing in Oakville and Burlington
- Halton Police Searching For Missing Three-Year-Old Boy In Milton
- For All Canadian Breaking Bad Fans This is Disappointing
- Top 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington, and Milton: September 15– 21
- Oakville Will Regulate Airbnb and Short-Term Rentals
- Oakville Looks to Regulate Airbnb and Other Short-Term Rentals
- A New Tax is Coming to the Town of Oakville
- This Long-Term Care Centre in Burlington Might be Demolished
- Should Ontario Teachers Who Touch Students Inappropriately Be Allowed to Keep Their Licence?