City of Burlington Reacts to Death of Walk of the Earth Band Member
Fans were recently left shocked following an announcement from Burlington-based band Walk Off the Earth which stated that their piano and keyboard player Mike Taylor, known to fans as Beard Guy, had passed away.
The band took to their Twitter page shortly after 7:00 p.m. yesterday evening (Dec. 30) to report the news, stating that Taylor passed away from natural causes.
“Our deepest sympathies are with his two children, whom he adored more than anything else in the world,” the post reads.
“We ask for privacy for his family in this trying time.”
Walk Off the Earth is a well-known Canadian indie pop band from Burlington.
The city’s Mayor, Marianne Meed Ward, released the following statement on the passing of Taylor.
We are all deeply saddened to hear of the sudden death of Mike Taylor. Our city joins together in mourning this tragic loss, and sending condolences to Mike’s family, band mates, friends and fans at home and around the world.
Flags at Burlington City Hall have been lowered to half mast in Mike’s honour.
Mike and the other members of Walk Off the Earth are from Burlington, with Mike and his family making their home in downtown Burlington. Mike and the band returned to our home town many times to show their support and love for the city and we thank them for that.
You have left us with a rich musical legacy. Thank you Mike for your contribution to music here and around the world. We will truly miss you.
Photo is courtesy of Walk off the Earth on Facebook.
- Police Stop Driver Taking Selfies Behind the Wheel in Oakville
- Big Changes Planned for These Highways in Halton
- All Lanes Closed On Highway 401 In Halton Due To Collision
- Top 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington, and Milton: May 12 – 18
- What the Ontario Government’s Recent Cuts Mean for the Oakville Public Library
- Burlington's "Walk off the Earth" Band Member Dies
- Here’s How Burlington is Honouring the Late Walk Off The Earth Band Member
- "Walk off the Earth" Performing at Memorial Tribute in Burlington
- Here’s What the Walk Off The Earth Tribute Concert Looked Like in Burlington
- Road Closures to Take Note of During Walk Off The Earth Memorial in Burlington