Claire's Recalls Several Products Following Allegations They Contain Asbestos
If you own any of these makeup products, you’re advised not to use them.
Recently, the U.S. Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) tested products from the popular fashion accessory retailer Claire’s.
The FDA alleges that the following products tested positive for asbestos contamination:
- Claire’s Eye Shadows - Batch No/Lot No: 08/17
- Claire’s Compact Powder - Batch No/Lot No: 07/15
- Claire’s Contour Palette - Batch No/Lot No: 04/17
“Asbestos […] is a known carcinogen and its health risks are well-documented,” the FDA report says.
“Consumers who have these batches/lots of Claire’s Eye Shadow, Compact Powder, and Contour in their home should stop using them.”
Shortly after the release of the FDA report, Claire’s issued a statement on Twitter saying that the mentioned products would be removed from stores.
“We assure customers that our products are safe,” the retailer said. “Out of an abundance of caution, we have removed the three products identified by the FDA from our stores.”
At Claire’s, customer safety is paramount, and we pride ourselves on providing our customers with the highest quality and safest products. We wish to address today's FDA warning that three cosmetic items sold by Claire’s may have been contaminated with asbestos. pic.twitter.com/tpNfLRtNIK— Claire's (@claires) March 6, 2019
However, the retailer disputes the FDA’s findings, claiming that “there is no evidence that any products sold by Claire’s are unsafe.”
The affected items have been pulled from all Claire’s locations, including those in Canada.
For information on the federal government’s prohibition of asbestos and products containing asbestos, click here.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning Currently in Effect in Halton
- New Waterfront Restaurant with Patio Now Open in Oakville
- Motorcyclist Seriously Injured in Collision in Milton
- Five Catholic Schools in Halton Will Have Different Start and End Times Come September
- Company Preparing for Massive $28 Million Expansion in Burlington