Conservation Halton Issues Flood Watch Statement
Conservation Halton has issued a flood watch statement. More specifically, Conservation Halton has issued a watershed condition statement - flood watch Lake Ontario shoreline.
According to Conservation Halton, Lake Ontario levels will continue to rise over the next several weeks as a result of record high inflows from Lake Erie combined with reduced outflows from Lake Ontario which are necessary for limiting downstream flooding within the lower St. Lawrence River.
“The latest Lake Ontario water level forecast suggests that there is a 50 per cent chance that the current level could rise an additional 10 cm over the coming week and potentially reach or exceed peak levels recorded in 2017,” reads the statement. “Levels are already at critical values in some areas, and there is also the potential for a greater rise depending on additional rainfall amounts.”
As a result, all shoreline areas should be considered dangerous during this time.
“Localized flooding combined with the potential for waves to overtop breakwalls and other shoreline structures continue to make these locations extremely dangerous,” reads the statement.
Residents have been advised to exercise caution around Lake Ontario shoreline areas, and to alert children of imminent dangers.
Conservation Halton notes that Lake Ontario water levels are expected to decline within the next few weeks, however, they are expected to remain very high into the summer months.
This flood watch - Lake Ontario shoreline message will remain in effect until June 5.
- Halton Police Searching For Missing Three-Year-Old Boy In Milton
- Car Fire Breaks out in Tim Hortons Drive-Thru in Burlington
- Halton Police Charge Suspect In Connection To Major Robbery In Burlington
- This Major Road Closure Has Been Extended in Milton
- Emergency Services Investigating Strange Substance Released into a Burlington Creek
- Conservation Halton Issues Flood Watch Statement for the Lake Ontario Shoreline
- Flood Watch Statement Issued for the Lake Ontario Shoreline
- Another Flood Watch Statement Issued for Lake Ontario Shoreline
- Another Flood Watch for the Lake Ontario Shoreline is in Effect in Halton
- Flood Watch for Lake Ontario Shoreline Now in Effect in Halton