COVID-19: Ontario's dentists cancelling some services
Dentists in Ontario have been ordered to halt all non-essential and elective dental services in response to the increasing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the province.
The Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario (RCDSO) issued a notice to their members on Sunday telling them that only emergency treatments should be offered at this time.
IMPORTANT NOTICE!!— CDHA (@theCDHA) March 15, 2020
The RCDSO has issued a message to all dentists in Ontario on the COVID-19 Pandemic, strongly recommending that all non-essential and elective dental services be suspended immediately. Emergency treatment should continue. https://t.co/qfZFKkSyTs pic.twitter.com/W0i91pAQdq
“In accordance with our mandate to act in the public’s interest and in hearing the numerous comments made to us by members, in consultation with hospitals and public health and others,” the notice said.
“The RCDSO strongly recommends that all non-essential and elective dental services should be suspended immediately. Emergency treatment should continue.”
According to the notice, securing enough personal protective equipment for practices and their staff has been a problem and therefore requires effective social distancing and ‘bold action’ are required.
They also recommended that given the impact essentially shuttering dental offices will have on staff, that employment lawyers be consulted.
The organization then said that they will continue to monitor the situation and that its recommendations will be reviewed in the coming weeks and are subject to change.
The College will revisit this recommendation in the first week of April.
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- Over 400 new COVID-19 cases found in Ontario, with significant jump recorded in Halton
- Charges laid after non-essential Oakville business found to still be operating
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- Province asking hospitals to ramp down elective surgeries in response to COVID-19 pandemic
- Provincial Government Announces New Dental Care Program for Seniors in Ontario
- This Dental Hygiene Clinic in Burlington is Offering Free Services
- Oakville reducing non-essential services due to COVID-19
- Oakville scaling back non-essential services due to COVID-19