Demolition Begins on Former Hospital Site in Oakville
Redevelopment is officially underway at the former Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital site.
Delsan-AIM has secured the contract with the municipal government and residents are one step closer to seeing the creation of a $54 million community centre in the southeast end.
The contractor will begin mobilizing on site this week, according to Town of Oakville officials.
The final master plan for 327 Reynolds St. was given the go-ahead on June 27.
The former site is comprised of lands on the south side of Macdonald Rd. between Reynolds and Allan streets and the property includes the existing hospital building and the Wyndham Manor Long Term Care Centre.
The site is now a demolition/construction zone and will remain closed to the public.
Over the coming weeks, residents can expect: construction workers entering and leaving the site; minimal noise and dust; flatbed trucks delivering the site office trailer and materials and other heavy equipment; set-up of the site office trailer; installation of a three metre (just under 10 feet) solid wood fence; and minimal demolition work.
Project planning and conceptual design began in mid-July and community feedback will be sought in early fall, according to the Town.
The development of the new community centre will begin in late 2018 with an opening scheduled for fall 2020.
An overall concept for the redevelopment of the hospital lands including a new community centre, park, potential housing and medical uses was endorsed in principle by council on April 8, 2013.
But a final plan couldn’t be completed until the town took ownership of the site and completed all the required environmental, heritage, building condition and detailed land use studies.
The timeline for the Former Hospital Site Project is roughly five years (2015 to 2020).
The development of the community centre and neighbourhood park opening is scheduled for September 2020.
Residents can provide feedback or file a complaint by contacting ServiceOakville via phone at 905-845-6601,
TTY at 905-338-4200, or e-mail: serviceoakville [at] oakville [dot] ca
Photo courtesy of the Town of Oakville
- Here’s Everything we Know About This Huge Holiday Market in Milton
- New Retailers Officially Open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Police Seeking Assistance Identifying Break and Enter Suspects in Oakville
- Here’s What We Know About a New Restaurant Coming to Oakville
- Ontario Government Extending Beer Store and LCBO Hours in Halton
- Oakville Hosting Open House for Former Hospital Site
- Redevelopment of Former Hospital Site Project in Oakville Gets Green Light
- Plans Roll Ahead for Oakville's Former Hospital Site and Brantwood School
- Plans Move Forward for Oakville's Former Hospital Site and Brantwood School
- Here’s What We Know About the Southeast Community Centre