Do You Know a Burlington Resident Who Deserves an Award?
If you know someone who has made an invaluable contribution to Burlington in 2017, now is a good time to tell them how important they are to our city.
The City of Burlington is opening nominations for the Burlington’s Best Awards on Jan. 2.
Basically, these awards are designed to recognize any outstanding who has made a meaningful contribution to the city in 2017, or had a significant achievement in one or more of eight categories.
A gala celebration is held in May.
Here are the categories as outlined by the city:
Citizen of the Year
A person whose volunteer activity has made a significant and sustained contribution to the vibrancy and wellbeing of the Burlington community in 2017.
Junior Citizen of the Year
A youth, 14-18 years of age who has made a significant contribution to the Burlington community in 2017.
Senior Person of the Year
A person, 55 years or older who has made a significant contribution to the Burlington Community and/or advocated on behalf of seniors in 2017.
An individual or group that improved and/or protects Burlington’s environment in 2017.
Arts Person of the Year
An individual who has contributed to the arts in Burlington as an artist, patron or advocate including but not limited to, visual arts, media arts, musical arts, performing arts and literary arts in 2017.
Community Service Award
An individual or group whose volunteer activity has contributed to the betterment of the Burlington community in 2017.
An individual or group who has demonstrated a commitment to the preservation of Burlington’s heritage, and has volunteered their time in an effort to support the preservation of Burlington’s heritage in 2017.
An individual, organization or business who have made significant contributions to increase access and participation of people with disabilities in the Burlington community in 2017.
You can nominate:
- an individual who has actively demonstrated energetic and exemplary volunteer service to our community during 2017.
- a resident of Burlington.
- their achievement(s) must be over and above the individual’s paid employment in an occupation or profession, with the exception of the Arts Person, Environmental, or Accesibility Award.
- someone that has not won previously for the category.
- Sorry, you can’t nominate yourself.
The process for nominating candidates for awards will be greatly simplified if the procedures listed below are followed:
- You, as the nominator, can significantly influence the selection process by accurately completing the online nomination form, providing all required documentation, supplying relevant information in concise English, and following all instructions carefully.
- Consider the criteria for the award as described. Ask the question: Does the achievement fit the award?
- Review tips for preparing a successful nomination.
- Email jo-anne [dot] rudy [at] burlington [dot] ca with any questions.
So, how are winners selected? Well, an awards committee of five to eight taxpayers chooses them.
Nomination forms will be available on Jan. 2, 2018 through an online form, downloadable fillable pdf, and in person at City Hall, 426 Brant Street, Burlington, ON at the Clerks department.