Do You Need Digital Skills Training?
Booking appointments online.
A new program is on deck to support basic computer skills training for Canadians who need it most.
“Our government is ensuring that all Canadians have the skills and know-how to access online resources and participate in the digital economy,” said Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Navdeep Bains.
The Digital Literacy Exchange Program “will help us to make sure that all Canadians are equipped with the right skills to access the wealth of information and opportunities online.”
Under the program nearly $30 million will be used over four years, starting 2018-19 to support not-for-profit organizations that teach fundamental digital literacy skills to Canadians who would benefit from participating in the digital economy.
The list includes seniors, new and low-income Canadians, Indigenous people, and those living in northern and rural communities.
Digital skills “are critical to participation in today’s society,” a news release reads, “whether for booking a medical appointment, banking safely, studying or looking for a job.”
Learning these skills and understanding technologies “will enhance the amount of information and number of online resources that Canadians can access …”
Interested not-for-profit organizations are invited to submit proposals under the program.
The deadline to submit is March 30.
The program aims to help ensure “that all Canadians have the necessary skills to use computers and the Internet safely and securely and help make sure that no one is left behind” in the digital economy.
“We want all Canadians to control their own connectivity and take their rightful place in the digital world of today,” said parliamentary secretary to the innovation, science and economic development ministry David Lametti.
Click here for more information.
- 33-Year-Old Female Driver Charged After Travelling From Milton to Oakville at Insane Speed
- Suspect Charged Following Burlington Shooting
- Victim of Burlington Shooting Identified As EMS Dispatcher
- Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix Canada in September 2019
- All Lanes Blocked on QEW Following Collision in Burlington
- Free Job Skills Training Coming to Ontario
- Statistics Canada Wants Your Take on the Digital Economy
- The Feds Want Feedback on the Changing Economy
- Provincial Government to Increase Funding For Students in Trade Skills in Halton
- Ontario Launches New Initiatives to Help Students With Their Math Skills