Domestic assault incident with children present leads to arrest: Halton police
Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) say an alleged domestic assault on Christmas Day lead to multiple charges.
Police were dispatched to a residence after receiving a call from a concerned party on Dec. 25, 2019.
“Through an investigation, the officers developed reasonable grounds to believe that a male had physically assaulted his female partner earlier in the day,” said HRPS. “During this assault, it is believed that the male party pushed the female, choked her, and threatened to kill her.”
Police say children were present in the home at the time of the assault and “thankfully witnesses stepped in and provided immediate assistance to the female by restraining the male and preventing the assault from continuing”.
The male accused was arrested and subsequently transported to jail before the investigation was turned over to the Domestic Violence Investigative Unit. He was charged with Assault Causing Bodily Harm, Utter Threat to Cause Death or Bodily Harm, and Mischief Under $5,000 and held for bail.
“Upon arrest of the accused, the victim was referred to the Halton Regional Police Service Domestic Violence Victim Coordinator within our Victim Services Unit,” said HRPS. “The Victim Services Unit connects victims to appropriate support services in the community, assists with safety planning and victim care, and, through the Victim Quick Response Program (VQRP), can provide immediate short-term financial support toward essential expenses for victims of violent crime.”
In 2019, Halton Regional Police Service officers responded to 3,613 intimate partner domestic incidents. These calls for service resulted in 842 arrests and the laying of 1,548 criminal charges, according to the service.
- Burlington's Walk Off The Earth releases latest viral hit ahead of Canada Day
- Cyclist taken to trauma centre after being struck by police cruiser in Milton
- Traffic stop leads to assault with weapon charge in Oakville
- Suspects arrested after carjacking attempts in Oakville and Milton
- What's open and closed Canada Day in Burlington, Oakville, and Milton
- Halton police lay charges in domestic violence incident with children present
- Toronto police officer and Halton resident arrested for sexual assault
- Man charged after allegedly calling woman 200 times in one day: Halton Police
- Halton police changing how it reports domestic violence
- Tactical Rescue Unit called to Burlington residence