Domestic assault incident with children present leads to arrest: Halton police
Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) say an alleged domestic assault on Christmas Day lead to multiple charges.
Police were dispatched to a residence after receiving a call from a concerned party on Dec. 25, 2019.
“Through an investigation, the officers developed reasonable grounds to believe that a male had physically assaulted his female partner earlier in the day,” said HRPS. “During this assault, it is believed that the male party pushed the female, choked her, and threatened to kill her.”
Police say children were present in the home at the time of the assault and “thankfully witnesses stepped in and provided immediate assistance to the female by restraining the male and preventing the assault from continuing”.
The male accused was arrested and subsequently transported to jail before the investigation was turned over to the Domestic Violence Investigative Unit. He was charged with Assault Causing Bodily Harm, Utter Threat to Cause Death or Bodily Harm, and Mischief Under $5,000 and held for bail.
“Upon arrest of the accused, the victim was referred to the Halton Regional Police Service Domestic Violence Victim Coordinator within our Victim Services Unit,” said HRPS. “The Victim Services Unit connects victims to appropriate support services in the community, assists with safety planning and victim care, and, through the Victim Quick Response Program (VQRP), can provide immediate short-term financial support toward essential expenses for victims of violent crime.”
In 2019, Halton Regional Police Service officers responded to 3,613 intimate partner domestic incidents. These calls for service resulted in 842 arrests and the laying of 1,548 criminal charges, according to the service.
- Canadian government warning residents to beware of convincing new SIN scam
- Has your street been plowed? Find out here
- Driver faces multiple charges after flicking cigarette butt: Halton police
- Multi-vehicle crash causing highway delays in Oakville
- More Ontario schools to be affected by teachers' strike
- Halton police lay charges in domestic violence incident with children present
- Halton police changing how it reports domestic violence
- Police Seeking Witness Following Sexual Assault Incident in Burlington
- Two Men Charged in Relation to a Violent Sexual Assault in Burlington
- Police Searching for Suspect Following Brutal Alleged Assault