Doug Ford Vows to End Cap-and-Trade Program
Premier-Designate Doug Ford recently announced that his cabinet’s first act following the swearing-in of his government will be to cancel Ontario’s current cap-and-trade program and "challenge the federal government’s authority to impose a carbon tax on the people of Ontario."
The cap and trade program is designed to cut carbon emissions.
“I made a promise to the people that we would take immediate action to scrap the cap-and-trade carbon tax and bring their gas prices down,” said Ford in a recent news release. “Today, I want to confirm that as a first step to lowering taxes in Ontario, the carbon tax’s days are numbered.”
Ford also announced that Ontario would be serving notice of its withdrawal from the joint agreement linking Ontario, Quebec and California’s cap-and-trade markets as well as the Western Climate Initiative.
Ford said that he has directed officials to immediately take steps to withdraw Ontario from future auctions for cap-and-trade credits. He also announced that he will be issuing specific directions to his incoming attorney general to "use all available resources at the disposal of the government to challenge the federal government’s authority to arbitrarily impose a carbon tax on Ontario families."
“Eliminating the carbon tax and cap-and-trade is the right thing to do and is a key component in our plan to bring your gas prices down by 10 cents per litre,” said Ford.
“It also sends a clear message that things are now different. No longer will Ontario’s government answer to insiders, special interests and elites. Instead, we will now have a government for the people. Help is here.”
Ford will be sworn in as premier this month.
Photo courtesy of the Ontario PC Party’s official Facebook page
- Pier 1 files for bankruptcy protection, closing all Canadian stores
- What's Open and Closed Family Day in Oakville, Burlington, and Milton
- Winter weather to impact morning commute in Halton
- Update: Oakville doctor arrested again for sexual assault
- UPDATE: SIU investigating man's fall from balcony in Oakville
- Here’s How Much Doug Ford Says Eliminating Cap-and-Trade Will Save
- Ford Government Challenges Federal Carbon Tax In Court
- Ford Government Cancelling Cap and Trade Would Raise Deficit, Report Says
- Ontario Government Officially Cancels Environment Policy
- Here's What Doug Ford Says He'll Do About Gas Prices