Driver Flees RIDE Spot Check, Nearly Hits Halton Cop
A minivan driver nearly struck a Halton police officer early Tuesday after evading a RIDE spot check in Halton Hills.
Now police are asking the public to help identify the suspect.
The incident took place at 1:26 a.m. in Acton.
That’s when two uniform officers were conducting checks at Young and Peel streets.
A newer model silver Dodge Caravan, driven by a man in his 20s, accelerated at high speed through the spot check.
The officer scrambled to get out of the way and just narrowly missed being struck by the van, say police.
A pursuit was called off when officers lost sight of the fleeing van.
There was a male passenger -also in his 20s- in the van, which was last seen passing a transport tanker truck and two vehicles southbound on Regional Road 25 at speeds estimated to be more than 140 km/h.
The vehicle should have some damage to the driver’s side from contact with the officer’s flashlight.
Anyone who sees the Caravan is asked to call police.
Police are asking anyone that may have information, witnessed this vehicle at a high rate of speed, or has CCTV or dash cam video of the vehicle being driven in a dangerous manner, to contact Const. Sue Bedard of 1 District at 905-825-4747 ext. 2405.
Tips can also be submitted to Crime Stoppers “See something? Hear something? Know something? Contact Crime Stoppers” at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca
- This Poop-Themed Restaurant is Coming to Oakville
- BREAKING UPDATE: Alleged Killer of 11-Year-Old Girl in Hospital with Gunshot Wound
- What's Open and Closed Family Day in Oakville, Burlington, and Milton
- Police Searching for Teen Last Seen in Oakville
- PHOTOS: Possible Impaired Driver Stopped in Gunpoint Takedown in Burlington
- Police Hunt Suspect After Break-In, High-Speed Chase in Milton
- Milton Man Accused of Dangerous Driving After Police Pursuit
- Driver Flees After Striking Police Vehicle in Burlington
- Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
- Accused Impaired Driver Charged After SUV Nearly Hits Police Cruiser in Milton