Driver Who Allegedly Fled Scene Charged in Halton Crash
A driver accused of fleeing the scene of a crash is facing charges after he was tracked down by Halton police.
“In this case it’s fortunate that no one was hurt or seriously injured,” said arresting officer Const. David Rivers.
The incident took place on Oct. 6 at 6:50 a.m..
Officers responded to a single motor vehicle collision that occurred on Hwy. 7 at Lakeview Ave. in Acton.
While en route to Halton Hills, police received further calls from citizens reporting that a male near the collision scene was trying to flag down motorists.
Officers arrived, finding the vehicle abandoned — the driver fled the scene.
An investigation was conducted and the driver was later identified and arrested.
Joseph Araujo, 22, of Rockwood, is charged with four counts of driving while disqualified, fail to comply with probation order, fail to remain at a collision, fail to report an accident, and driving while under suspension.
The vehicle, a 2017 grey Chevrolet Cruz, was loaned to the accused. It’s now subject to a 45-day vehicle impoundment program seizure.
“It’s important for all vehicle owners to take the appropriate steps to ensure that they permit only licensed drivers to operate their vehicles,” said Rivers.
” In this case that was not done and the owner is now without a car for 45 days and is responsible for the tow and storage costs, which will be considerable.”
Police are asking for anyone with information concerning this collision to contact the Staff Sgt. at 905-825-4747 ext. 2410 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca or by texting “Tip 201” with your message to 274637 (crimes).
- Ontario extends business closures amid COVID-19 crisis
- Ontario reports over 450 new COVID-19 cases, 100 cases confirmed in Halton
- Internet providers explain why they’ve hiked prices amid an economic downturn
- All Burlington parks closed to vehicular access in response to COVID-19
- Halton police ramp up COVID-19 compliance enforcement with new powers
- Oakville Suspect Arrested After Driver Flees Police in Stolen Vehicle
- Driver Flees After Striking Police Vehicle in Burlington
- Driver Flees Three-Vehicle Collision in Burlington
- Police on Scene of Two-Vehicle Collision in Halton Hills
- Accused Impaired Driver Charged After SUV Nearly Hits Police Cruiser in Milton