Drivers This Road is Still Closed in Oakville
If you’re an Oakville driver, you might appreciate the heads up about these road closures which are still taking place in town in December as the finishing touches are put on the Lakeshore Road Bridge.
Water St. will be closed daily until Friday, Dec. 15, starting at 7 a.m. until 3:45 p.m.
It’s to accommodate stripping on the underside of the bridge deck, according to the town.
Water St. will be closed on the south side of the bridge at Robinson St. and on the north side near the library parking lot.
Take note, the driveways to the library parking lot will be open at all times.
If you recall, the bridge recently reopened following months of detours since the project began last January.
The completion of the bridge marks the first step in the rejuvenation of Downtown Oakville.
The Lakeshore Road Reconstruction and Streetscape project will begin in 2019 and be completed over a two year period.
With Lakeshore Rd. E. (Navy St. to Allan St.) coming to the end of its lifespan and needing a major reconstruction, the town undertook extensive research and public consultation to identify broader opportunities to improve traffic, beautify streets and improve pedestrian/cycle ways in the downtown.
In October 2015, council approved the Lakeshore Road Reconstruction and Streetscape Project as part of the Downtown Transportation and Streetscape Study (DTS) study.
The Lakeshore Bridge at Sixteen Mile Creek reconstruction happened in advance of the road project as inspections of the bridge revealed its condition warranted immediate attention.
The new bridge includes two travel lanes and bikes lanes, wider pedestrian sidewalks with a barrier wall to separate the sidewalk and vehicles, and new pedestrian railings and lookouts will be included as well as LED lighting.
Here are photos of progress on the bridge from a few months ago.
Photo courtesy of the Town of Oakville
- Police Arrest Teen Accused of Throwing Sign onto Highway in Oakville
- Some Ontario Landlords are Sharing Tips on How to Illegally Evict Tenants
- Top 5 Date Night Restaurants in Oakville
- Police Investigating Male Throwing Sign onto Highway in Oakville
- Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix Canada in September 2019
- Drivers Take Note of This Road Closure in Oakville
- Oakville's Lakeshore Road Bridge is Ready to Reopen
- PHOTOS: Amazing Views of the Lakeshore Road Bridge Construction
- Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project Officially Underway
- Here’s the Latest on Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project