Edwin Earl House given historical designation by Milton council

By

Published June 29, 2023 at 3:54 pm

A residential home in downtown Milton has been designated as a historical property.

The Edwin Earl House was built around 1874. According to a staff report, its cultural heritage value lies in its architectural and design significance as a representative example of mid-Victorian domestic architecture with Greek Revival detailing.

It has historical and associative significance as the home of Edwin Earl, a former Milton Mayor, Halton County Reeve and prominent local businessman as well as being of minor provincial significance as having been owned by Joseph H. Robinson a prominent member of the Canadian Wesleyan Methodist New Connection Church.

This property also has contextual significance as one of the original lots created in Hugh Foster’s 1854 plan of subdivision that includes Victoria Park and the Courthouse square in the centre of Milton’s historic downtown and because it contributes to the streetscape that frames this important historical park.

Edwin Earl owned the house at 111 Mary Street from 1891 until his death in 1931. He was a tinsmith and plumber by trade and held a very prominent and active position in the local community.

He was a member of the United Church and served as:

  • Second Vice-President of the Halton Liberal Association (1907)
  • Fire Chief (1894-1900 & 1901-1930)
  • Town Councillor {1893-1896 & 1899-1900)
  • Reeve of Milton (1913)
  • Halton County Warden (1913)
  • Vice-President of the Milton Baseball Club (1897)
  • Mayor of Milton (1917-1921)

The house was designated at last week’s Town council meeting despite a notice of objection filed by the current owner of the property.

inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising