Extremely Cold Weather Set to Hit Halton
Bundle up, Haltonians, it’s about to get frigid outside!
The Region of Halton has issued a cold weather alert starting Thursday, January 10.
The cold weather warning is in effect until overnight temperatures rise above -15 degrees Celsius (without wind-chill) or weather conditions improve and the risks involved with prolonged exposure are reduced.
High risk groups during this weather warning include older adults over 65, infants and young children, outdoor workers, sport enthusiasts (hikers, skiers), homeless persons, and/or those lacking shelter, proper clothing or food.
Halton Region also advises some cold weather safety tips, such as:
- Cover exposed skin using multiple layers of loose-fitting clothes with a wind-resistant outer layer, a hat, mittens, and scarf.
- Always be on the lookout for signs of frostbite and hypothermia.
- Check in on family, friends and neighbours who may be at risk.
- Prepare for winter driving conditions by keeping a Car Survival Kit in your car at all times.
- Where pipes are close to exterior walls or in basements or crawl spaces, ensure proper air circulation and adequate heat. Also, make sure your household temperature is not set too low when your house is vacant.
Stay safe and warm, Halton!