Federal government pledges $4.6 million to assist people living with dementia
The Canadian government has pledged to provide funding to assist the more than 432,000 Canadians aged 65 and older that have been diagnosed with dementia.
To conclude Alzheimer’s Awareness Month, Minister of Health Patty Hajdu announced the government will be investing $4.6 million for projects aimed at improving the lives of people living with dementia, their families and caregivers.
“Far too many Canadians live with dementia, and it has wide ranging impacts on families and caregivers. Canadians living with dementia, and those who support them, deserve access to the resources they need to live safely and independently in their communities,” Hajdu said in a news release.
“Our government is focused on ensuring that Canadians living with dementia, families and caregivers can have the best possible quality of life,” she continued.
“This much-needed investment will build on the successful work that the Alzheimer Society has been doing to create dementia-friendly communities across the country,” Stephen McCullough, CEO of the Alzheimer Society of Canada, said in the same release.
“The increasing prevalence of dementia demands a complete shift in our social attitudes towards the disease and in our ability to provide the supports that enable Canadians with dementia to live to their fullest with dignity,” he continued.
- Indigo lays off 5,200 employees, stores closed indefinitely
- Halton Pet Adoption: "Jumping" Joey
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Arrests made after masked men rob Burlington LCBO
- Doug Ford discusses help for businesses and urges residents not to go to cottages during COVID-19 outbreak
- Here's How the Province Will be Helping People with Dementia in Halton
- The Government of Canada is Introducing a Unique Strategy to Combat a Major Issue
- Canadian Government Funding Over $3 Million For People With Autism
- Police Looking for Elderly Woman Suffering From Dementia in Oakville
- UPDATED: Police Seeking Elderly Man With Dementia in Burlington