Festivals in Mississauga, Milton and Bowmanville highlight Ontario Craft Beer Week
There’s no better time than now to raise a glass to all the craft breweries in this province as we celebrate Craft Beer Week in Ontario from today until Father’s Day on June 19.
This year’s theme is ‘Collective Brewing’ and the Ontario Craft Brewers association, which represents nearly 100 of the 400 or so Ontario craft breweries, brew pubs and contract breweries, is inviting beer lovers to come out and enjoy the festivities.
“Ontario’s craft beer industry strives to create an environment of collaboration and inclusiveness between all members, which is what makes this industry so special,” says Sarah Knox, Marketing Manager, Ontario Craft Brewers and chair of Ontario Craft Beer Week 2018. “Craft brewing is an art, a science and a business, so this week gives everyone a chance to celebrate everything our craft brewers offer our province.”
Ontario Craft Beer Week’s goal is to recognize local craft brewers and give consumers a chance to learn more about craft beer and the breweries in their area. This week’s events will connect Ontario residents with their local craft brewers through tours, tastings, festivals and parties. The Ontario Craft Brewers members will host events on-site in their brewery, as well as at local bars, restaurants and event venues throughout Ontario.
This year’s craft beer week will be holding authentic craft beer experiences, including:
- Father’s Day Ale Trail: Ontario Craft Beer Week finishes on Father’s Day, so go ahead and make dad’s day by joining him on a craft beer bus tour. The tour departs from The Wooly Pub and includes stops at Wellington Brewery, Royal City Brewing, and Brothers Brewing. Tickets are on sale now at eventbrite.com.
- Several tasting shows across the province: Including Session Toronto on Saturday, June 9, from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Yonge Dundas Square. This annual Toronto Ontario Craft Beer Week event features multiple OCB member breweries and ‘Collaboration Nation’, where craft breweries team with celebrity partners to create unique craft beers. Tickets are on sale at sessiontoronto.ca.
- Visit your local brewery: Tours, tastings and meeting the people behind the brands; brewmasters, owners, sales and production staff.
- Craft beer 101: Experience beer tastings and food pairings with the experts, including cheese, BBQ & chocolate.
- One-offs, keg swaps, casks & features: Taste new, creative and limited edition brews that are not normally available to public.
- Pub crawls: Hook up with pals and brewery reps to taste your way through multiple craft-friendly licensees.
- Brewery tours: Contact breweries directly or sign up for a regional beer tour at one of several craft beer touring facilities in the province.
Craft Beer Week is also a good time for festivals with lots of events to choose from around the province, including:
- Rotary Rockin’ Ribs and Brews June 10-12 at Bowmanville’s Clarington Fields;
- Milton Rib & Beer Festival June 12 at the Milton Fairgrounds;
- Creative Craft Beer Festival June 17-18 at Mississauga’s Small Arms Inspection Building.
There is also the Kawartha Craft Beer Festival, Newmarket Craft Beer Festival and Ottawa Beer Festival and more. Enjoy (but drink responsibly)!
Cheers!insauga's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising