Find out what your Burlington property tax bill will be in 2024

By

Published November 29, 2023 at 9:00 am

minimum wage ontario

Following weeks of deliberation, Burlington City councillors have approved a budget and how you will pay for it.

The numbers show the City portion of your tax bill will increase by 4.99 per cent in 2024. However, when combined with the forecasted increases at Halton Region (1.69 per cent) and for educational purposes (no increase), that number jumps to 6.68 per cent.

In more meaningful figures, this means an increase of $57.53 per $100,000 of a home’s current assessment value.

To compare, an average Burlington home assessed at $500,000 will see an annual increase of 287.65 above the 2023 amount.

A statement released through Mayor Marianne Meed Ward’s office says the 2024 budget set at nearly $90 million is a “needs-to-have” budget that focuses on essentials, frontline services, and planning for growth.

Pressures faced by the City include inflation which has increased construction expenses significantly at a time when aging infrastructure needs to be repaired. As well, Burlington has costs associated with growth and the need to meet the demands for more services that come with a rising population.

“We recognize the 2024 City and overall tax increase is unusual, and more than what many residents were asking for,” the statement continues. “City Hall is not immune to the challenges being faced by our community and delaying these much-needed investments in order to reduce this year’s tax increase would be a disservice and for some City services, such as road repair, would cost up to 10 times more if they are not made early enough. This budget continues to build on investments in capital and services our community has asked for and needs, and will serve to improve Burlington today and into the future.”

The mayor and Deputy Mayor Ward 5 Councillor Paul Sharman both said councillors had to balance opposing public interests: Some wanted City services cut to reduce taxes while others called for increased spending to maintain or improve services.

“We have seen what happens in communities around us that do not invest enough in infrastructure or services: crumbling roads, closed community centres, and more,” they said. “This budget plans for the short and long term to ensure we are investing in infrastructure and the services our residents expect.”

 

inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising