Fire set at mostly-seniors residence; Oakville man facing multiple charges
An Oakville man is facing multiple charges after a fire was set at an apartment building — housing mostly seniors.
In the early morning of April 3, the Halton Regional Police Service says a planter’s box in the vestibule of an apartment building located at 2185 Marine Dr. was set on fire.
Police say the apartment has 188 units and 172 residents, the majority of whom are seniors.
“Fortunately, no one was injured, due in large part to the concrete construction of a nearby overhang,” added police.
20-year-old Nash Thompson of Oakville was arrested Saturday in relation to the incident. He’s facing charges of:
- Arson - Disregard for Human Life
- Possession of a Prohibited Weapon (x 2)
- Unauthorized Possession of Ammunition
- Mischief Under $5000
- Failure to Comply Probation Order (x14)
Police say a search at his residence led to the seizure of “a number of items”, including prohibited weapons.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Halton Regional Police Service.
- Police are searching for a missing 10-year-old girl from Oakville
- Streets closing for march against anti-Black racism in Burlington
- CPA Canada hit by cyberattack, affecting data of more than 329,000 stakeholders
- Update: Teen charged after alleged stabbing of 79-year-old woman in Oakville
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: 401 completely closed in both directions due to collision in Milton
- Oakville Man Facing Multiple Charges After Attempting to Escape Police
- Couple facing drug and weapon charges after police raid in Hamilton and Burlington
- Halton Police and Oakville Fire On Scene Following Apartment Fire
- Fire at Burlington Apartment Building
- Police Responding to Apartment Fire in Halton