Ford Government To Merge Municipal Ambulances And Public Health Units
The Ontario government is making changes to local ambulance services. They are planning to merge the 59 local ambulance services and public health units in Ontario into 10 units.
The plan was hinted at in the budget last week. Finance Minister Vic Fedeli hinted to “integrating emergency health services into Ontario’s health care system.”
The budget document states, “the government will streamline the way land ambulance dispatch services are delivered by better integrating Ontario’s 59 emergency health services operators and 22 dispatch centres. The government is exploring new models of care and delivery for emergency health services to improve care for patients and reduce duplication.”
Two sources have also told CBC News that the government will merge all municipal and local paramedic operation into 10 regional ambulance providers and ten public health units.
According to the CBC article, the Ontario Association of Paramedic Chiefs is holding what it describes as an “emergency meeting” about the merger plan.
Municipal governments currently contribute about $720 million to ambulance services, while the province chips in $580 million.
“We’re just reviewing that right now,” Premier Doug Ford said at a news conference in Markham. “Nothing is carved in stone, but we’re going to look at everything.”
What do you think of this proposed merge by the Ford government?
Photo courtesy of Chief Greg Sage.
- Canadian government warning residents to beware of convincing new SIN scam
- Exciting Event Coming to Massive Entertainment Facility
- Hamilton couple charged after police seize drugs, break and enter tools in Burlington
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Vehicle fire causing highway delays in Oakville
- Here's why Halton residents should vote strategically this election
- Ford Reverses Cuts To Public Health, Child Care, And Ambulances After Many Complain
- Here's How the Ontario Government is Improving Mental Health and Addiction Services Across the Province
- Here’s How the Ontario Government is Improving Mental Health and Addiction Services in Halton
- Major Changes Coming to Mental Health Services Across Ontario
- Provincial Government Announces New Dental Care Program for Seniors in Ontario