Former Halton Deputy Chief to Become Peel Regional Police Chief
The Peel Regional Police service now has a new chief following the retirement of former Chief Jennifer Evans—and he used to serve Halton Region Police.
Today (Aug 2), the Peel Regional Police Service Board announced that Halton Deputy Chief of District Operations Nishan (Nish) Duraiappah has been selected as the incoming chief of Peel Regional Police.
Deputy Chief Duraiappah will take on this new role effective October 1, 2019.
He has acted as deputy chief in Halton since 2015.
He has served in law enforcement for nearly 25 years in a variety of roles, including the Regional Drug & Morality Bureau, the Guns & Gangs Unit, and District Criminal Investigations.
The board says he has worked with federal counterparts on the RCMP Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit and shown a strong commitment to many of the region’s diverse cultural and faith-based communities in his capacity as Halton Police Diversity and Cultural Relations Coordinator.
“Deputy Chief Duraiappah represents the next generation of leadership for the police service,” said Nando Iannicca, Chair of the Peel Police Service Board. “The community we all serve expects nothing less than the highest degree of duty and integrity - the very qualities we saw in Deputy Chief Duraiappah during the hiring process.”
The Board has spent the past seven months interviewing numerous candidates for the position of Chief. Duraiappah will become only the second police chief in Peel Region to be hired externally.
“It’s truly an honour to serve the over 3000 members of the Peel Regional Police Service as their Chief,” said Duraiappah. “As a team, we look forward to serving this remarkable and diverse community for many years to come.”
The board also thanked outgoing interim Chief Chris McCord for his steady leadership during the hiring process.
Chris McCord will remain within the service as a deputy chief.
- Halton Police Searching For Missing Three-Year-Old Boy In Milton
- Halton Police Investigating Robbery at Convenience Store in Burlington
- Jagmeet Singh Comments On Justin Trudeau's Picture Wearing Brownface
- Halton Police Charge Suspect In Connection To Major Robbery In Burlington
- Justin Trudeau Responds to His Picture in Brownface at 2001 ‘Arabian Nights’ Party
- There's a New Deputy Police Chief in Halton
- Big Changes For the Halton Regional Police Service
- President of Peel Regional Police Association Charged with Impaired Driving in Burlington
- How Many Unsafe Vehicles Have These Halton Police Officers Nabbed?
- Halton Police Win International Award for Community Policing