Half-million dollars stolen from City of Burlington in email scam
The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) made three arrests after they say a “large sum of money” was stolen from the City of Burlington.
Police announced the arrests Thursday (Aug 6).
“In April of 2019, Burlington was the target and victim of a sophisticated email fraud scam,” said HRPS. “During this offence, approximately $500, 000 was stolen from the city.”
Police say the arrests came after two separate residential raids.
Arrested and charged:
- Abayomi Musa (38) of Toronto
- Adnan Nawaz (39) of Brampton
- Hardness Oppong (37) of Toronto
All three have jointly been charged with Fraud over $5,000.
The accused have been released pending a court appearance on Oct 6 at the Ontario Court of Justice in Milton.
- Halton police make arrests in $1.35M auto fraud ring
- Arrests made after video of objects being thrown at cars off Burlington QEW
- Arrests made after several purses stolen from "older women" in Burlington, Oakville
- Arrests made in drug trafficking investigation: Halton Police
- SCAM ALERT: Halton Police Warn of Yet Another Fraud