Halton Hills to kick off fire prevention week with focus on safe cooking
Published October 5, 2023 at 12:12 pm
The Halton Hills Fire Department is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association to recognize Fire Prevention Week from Oct. 8 to 14.
The theme for this year is safe cooking, with the campaign motto, “Cooking safety starts with YOU. Pay attention to fire prevention.”
“Whether cooking in the kitchen or over a campfire, accidents happen and flames can get out of control,” said Halton Hills Fire Chief Jon Rehill.
“Be alert, keep flammable items such as oven mitts or dishtowels away from the stove top and know how to put out small grease fires and open flames.”
If in doubt, Rehill says the best course of action is to have everyone exit the home and call 911.
The fire department asks residents to keep the following cooking safety tips in mind:
- Don’t use the stove or stovetop if you feel sleepy or have consumed alcohol
- Remain in the kitchen while frying, boiling or grilling food
- Check food regularly that is simmering, baking, or roasting
- Keep flammable items away from your stovetop
- Smother stovetop flames by placing a lid over the pan and turning off the burner
The National Fire Protection Association is an international nonprofit organization devoted to educating people about the potential risks and dangers of fire, electrical, and related safety hazards.
More fire prevention and safety tips are available at the town’s website.inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising