Halton Hills Transport Truck Driver Accused of Impaired Driving
by Kelly Roche on August 29, 2018
A 42-year-old Halton Hills man is facing impaired driving charges following an incident in York Region.
It happened Aug. 27 around 6 p.m.
That’s when police received a 911 call from a concerned citizen in East Gwillimbury.
The caller, who was driving behind a full-size tractor trailer on Davis Dr., west of Hwy. 48, reported the vehicle had drifted across the centre line and off the road several times, causing oncoming vehicles to swerve out of the way.
Officers located the tractor trailer, stopping it west of Woodbine Ave.
When officers spoke to the driver they allegedly smelled alcohol and saw other signs of impairment.
The driver was handcuffed and police say they also seized marijuana.
The man refused to provide a breath sample and also destroyed the breath test instrument, police allege.
The suspect’s name hasn’t been released.
He’s charged with impaired driving, refuse to comply with breath demand, and mischief over $5,000.
York Regional Police are reminding drivers that an impaired-related charge in any vehicle will result in an immediate 90-day driver’s license suspension, the requirement for an ignition interlock device for at least six months on all vehicles you operate, as well as a mandatory education or treatment program.
These consequences are immediate and separate from any outcomes in court, say police.
“Drivers who choose to consume alcohol or drugs and get behind the wheel of any vehicle, put all of us at risk on our roadways,” said York Regional Police Chief Eric Jolliffe.
“We continue to rely on our community to call 911 to report suspected impaired drivers.”
Impaired driving remains the number one criminal cause of death in Canada, police say.
- Halton Police Searching For Missing Three-Year-Old Boy In Milton
- Car Fire Breaks out in Tim Hortons Drive-Thru in Burlington
- Halton Police Charge Suspect In Connection To Major Robbery In Burlington
- Emergency Services Investigating Strange Substance Released into a Burlington Creek
- Top 5 Bakeries in Burlington
- Accused Impaired Drivers Are Being Outed in Halton
- Truck Driver Arrested for Impaired Driving on Highway in Burlington
- PHOTOS: Allegedly Impaired Driver's Vehicle Destroyed in Halton Hills
- Accused Impaired Driver Charged After SUV Nearly Hits Police Cruiser in Milton
- 'Significant' Spike in Impaired Driving Cases in 2017: Halton Police