Halton police want high school students in Milton, Oakville, Burlington to join advisory council
Published May 3, 2023 at 1:04 pm
High School students in Oakville, Butlington, Milton and Halton Hills who are interested in policing issues are being encouraged to apply for a position on the Halton police’s Youth Advisory Council.
The YAC is now accepting new applicants for the 2023-2024 school year.
The council was created in 2020 in recognition of the impact youth have in the community, not only among their peer groups but in using their voices to bring about positive change.
This youth-driven, volunteer committee is made up of 15 high school-aged students from a wide range of backgrounds who work closely with HRPS members to ensure the needs of young people in Halton Region are heard and considered.
“Joining YAC is a great opportunity for the youth we serve to share their perspectives on the work we do and the issues and initiatives that impact them most,” said Sgt. Jacqueline Ross of the Regional Community Mobilization Bureau.
“We encourage all youth to learn more about our program and to consider applying for the upcoming school year.”
Members of YAC will have an opportunity to participate in a number of activities, including:
- Working as a team to offer insight to HRPS on policies, events, and programs impacting local youth
- Providing recommendations on initiatives to better support youth and the community
- Identifying and counselling HRPS on opportunities for youth to engage with the police service
- Supporting Service events and programming like volunteering within the community and the HRPS and advocating for the Region of Halton’s diverse youth population
To be considered for a committee position, youth must
- Currently be enrolled in a high school within Halton Region
- Be between ages 13-18
- Be passionate about community involvement
- Demonstrate leadership qualities
For more information about Youth Advisory Council, contact Ross at 905-825-4777, ext. 5245.
Applications are now being accepted here until Wednesday, May 17.inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising