Hamilton Woman Killed in Burlington Skyway Crash
A 51-year-old Hamilton motorcyclist is dead following a five-vehicle crash on the Burlington Skyway early Monday.
“She was driving a relatively new Harley Davidson,” said OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt.
The crash took place just before 6 a.m. on the “down-side of the Burlington Skyway coming through Hamilton over the harbour,” he said, involving two passenger vehicles, a minivan, and a pickup truck.
“Traffic was beginning to slow down” and there was some contact between the motorcycle and one of the cars, said Schmidt “and then it precipitated into a mutli-vehicle chain reaction event where the motorcyclist was struck significantly, sustaining fatal injuries.”
It’s unclear if anyone else is injured.
Motorcycle deaths are at a 10-year high, says Schmidt, adding 37 motorcyclists have been killed this year.
The collision reconstruction team is on scene, along with the coroner.
It’s too early to say if charges are being laid, says Schmidt.
All eastbound lanes of the QEW remain closed as police investigate.
Traffic is being diverted at Eastport Dr.
Investigators are expected to be there until noon.
UPDATE: Eastbound lanes are open.
- Canadian government warning residents to beware of convincing new SIN scam
- Exciting Event Coming to Massive Entertainment Facility
- Hamilton couple charged after police seize drugs, break and enter tools in Burlington
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Vehicle fire causing highway delays in Oakville
- Here's why Halton residents should vote strategically this election