Here's How Many New Jobs Were Created in Halton in 2017
Halton Region is seeing strong business growth in 2018.
The annual employment survey report was presented to regional council on June 20.
More than 7,200 new jobs created across the region — a 3 per cent increase from 2016.
“Businesses continue to invest in Halton because of low taxes, proximity to major markets and access to our highly educated and skilled workforce,” said Halton Regional chair Gary Carr.
“Businesses are remaining and expanding in Halton because they are seeing success and enjoying a high quality of life that is second to none.”
The employment survey is an important resource that helps monitor the region’s economic outlook, effectively plan for growth, attract new businesses and contribute to a sustainable Halton.
The 2017 survey highlighted:
- 231,576 jobs in Halton.
- More than 70 per cent of jobs are full-time.
- More than one-third of jobs in Halton are in knowledge-based sectors, such as finance, information technology and professional services.
- 40 per cent of businesses are located within Halton’s designated employment areas.
- Over 90 per cent of businesses surveyed in 2016 were still operating in 2017.
The survey is consistent with the 2017 Economic Review which was released in April and pointed to a strong local economy fueled by an in demand work force.
The Economic Review showed the unemployment rate decreased to 4 per cent - lower than the provincial average and construction values were up to $3.1 billion from $2.1 illion in 2016.
“These results clearly indicate that Halton’s business economy continues to thrive which is why more businesses are choosing to locate here,” reads a news release.
To learn more or read the full Employment Survey Report, visit halton.ca/employmentsurvey
The Regional Municipality of Halton serves 570,000 residents in Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills.
- Police Investigating Armed Robbery in Burlington
- 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington and Milton – Nov. 10 – Nov. 16
- New Retailers Officially Open at Toronto Premium Outlets
- Here’s Everything we Know About This Huge Holiday Market in Milton
- House of the Week: $2.8 Mil Burlington Home That Overlooks the Water