Here's How Much Canadians are Spending on Alcohol
If there's one thing Canadians love to do, it's crack open a cold one and relax.
And according to Statistics Canada, Canadians love drinking more than ever.
This was proven by recent sales spikes throughout the 2017 fiscal year which ended March 31, 2017.
Roughly $22.5 billion was spent on alcohol throughout Canada last year, up 2.3% from the previous year.
Beer still seems to be the many drink of choice for most Canadians, with $9.1 billion being spent on it. Other types of beverages have also been increasing in sales, including wine and spirits.
In previous years, the average Canadian spent roughly $755 on alcohol throughout the year. This year sales have increased in majority of provinces and territories.
Newfoundlanders had the highest average sale per person, at $1,056. British Columbians closely followed at $864 spent per person, then Nova Scotia with $789 and Quebec at $782.
Ontario spent the most on drinks, totaling over $8.2 billion in sales, a 3.9% increase in total sales. Quebec came second spending $5.3 billion followed by British Columbia with $3.3 billion.
An important detail to note is that the main choice of drink differs between Provinces and territories. Both Quebec and BC for example spent more money on wine than beer.
What's your favourite kind of drink for a hot summer day?
For more information on the sales:
- Anyone caught violating the EMCPA will be fined between $750 and $1,000
- Over 400 new COVID-19 cases found in Ontario, with significant jump recorded in Halton
- G2 driver clocked going 206 km/h in Oakville
- Canadian military preparing to get involved in COVID-19 pandemic
- Halton police search for missing Oakville teen
- This year's Boxing Day sales projected to mirror Black Friday sales in Canada
- Statistics Canada reports manufacturing sales down 0.2% in January
- Big Changes Have Been Proposed for Alcohol Sales in Halton
- Report finds auto theft costs Canadians nearly $1 billion per year
- Health Canada Could Restrict How Much Alcohol is in Your Drink