Here’s How you can Have a Safe Holiday Season in Halton
The holiday season is often a happy and cheerful time of year for most people. Although, all of the decorations, presents, and just the overall hustle and bustle of the season can sometimes result in the holidays being a dangerous time of year.
On top of everything listed above, one of the main dangers during the holiday season is actually cooking.
According to a recent press release from the Town of Milton, provincial statistics have shown that careless cooking is the leading cause of fires and the second main cause of fatal fires.
As a result, the Milton Fire Department is reminding residents about the law that requires working smoke alarms to be on every storey of a home and outside all sleeping areas.
Failure to comply with these requirements can result in a ticket of $360 or a fine of up to $50,000 for individuals and $100,000 for corporations.
Residents are encouraged to take a few minutes to test their smoke alarms and make sure everyone in the home knows what to do if an alarm sounds.
“The holidays are a time for celebration with family and friends,” Milton Fire Chief Dave Pratt said in a recent press release.
“Unfortunately, they are also a time when the number of preventable residential fires increases. That is why fire safety should be a key consideration in any holiday plans.”
The following tips have been outlined by the Town of Milton to help residents have a safe holiday season:
- Stay in the kitchen when cooking.
- If a pot catches fire, don’t try to move it. Cover the pot with a lid to smother the flames and turn off the burner.
- Make sure all cigarettes are properly put out before going to bed.
- Install and maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms outside all sleeping areas of the home.
- Develop and practice a home escape plan.
Despite these tips being outlined in a press release from the town, all Halton residents should be aware of the potential dangers during the holidays.
- Oakville Fire Department Issues Important Reminder for Residents
- Oakville Residents Reminded About Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
- Here’s How Burlington Firefighters are Working to Keep Homes in the City Safe
- Halton Landlord Charged After Basement Fire
- This Network is Helping Burlington Residents Who Suffer From Mental Illness This Holiday Season