Here’s the Latest on What’s Happening with Oakville’s Towne Square
The rehabilitation of downtown Oakville’s Towne Square (210 Lakeshore Rd.) has been a hot topic for a few years now. And back in June of 2018, a public meeting was held in order to discuss what the rehabilitation would consist of. More recently, however, it was announced that the preferred design concept for the square had been chosen.
This design concept is called ‘Turning Leaves’ and, according to the town of Oakville’s website, will work to enhance the vibrancy of the neighbourhood and provide more opportunities for public events.
In addition, ‘Turning Leaves’ maintains key elements but replaces paving, furnishings, light fixtures and tree planters to match the Lakeshore Road streetscape redevelopment project.
And recently, the town of Oakville announced that council has approved the Turning Leaves concept.
Here’s exactly what the design concept, according to the town’s website, consists of.
- Maintained central lawn area
- Paving, furnishings, light fixtures and tree planters to match those included in the Lakeshore Road Reconstruction project
- Trees tactically placed to provide maximum growth and shade
- Granite seat walls and retaining walls
- Paved pedestrian ramp along George Street corridor
- Assorted horticultural garden beds
- Softened grade transition between the lawn and the paved areas
- A mix of both fixed and flexible seating options throughout the square
- Additional architectural lighting that will enhance the space year-round
- Ability to support large scale BIA and other community events including accommodating the Christmas Tree in a prominent location
- New prominent water feature that will connect Lakeshore Road and the Square.
Construction will begin this fall which, according to Oakville Mayor Rob Burton, is the perfect time.
“Towne Square is over 30 years old and with the reconstruction of Lakeshore Road it was the perfect time to refresh this important gathering place for our community,” Burton said in a statement. “Thanks to public input we have a design for Towne Square that truly reflects the character of our downtown and the needs and wants of both businesses and residents.”
The proposed budget for this project is $2.3 million.
Photo is courtesy of the town of Oakville.
- Exciting New Development in the Design for Oakville’s Towne Square
- What Do You Think Oakville's Towne Square Should Look Like?
- Here’s How You Can Have Your Say in Oakville’s New Towne Square
- Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project Officially Underway
- Here’s the Latest on Oakville’s Lakeshore Road Reconstruction Project