Here’s What the Town of Milton Will be Spending Money on Come 2019
The Town of Milton recently released its proposed capital and operating budget for 2019.
The total gross operating budget is expected to be $137 million.
If approved, here’s what the town will be spending some of this money on come the New Year.
In 2015, the Milton town council approved a Corporate Strategic Action Plan for 2015 through to 2018. The 2019 proposed budget includes funding for the development of a new plan while still supporting the goals outlined in the previous plan.
These goals include creating a vibrant and connected community (a Sherwood Community Centre facility, sustainable Halton lands, transit, active transportation), preparing for economic growth (Milton Education Village, MEV Innovation Centre, future employment lands), maintaining financial sustainability (asset management plan, antistructure renewal reserve), enhanced communication (corporate branding, community engagement), and organizational effectiveness (service delivery review, employee strategic development, health and safety audit/implementation).
The 2019 proposed capital budget represents an investment of $55.5 million in 123 projects throughout Milton. With this investment, $41.6 million will be used for transportation, public facilities as well as technology and infrastructure.
- $29.5 million will be used for 40 road projects
- $6.9 million will be used for 16 public facility projects
- $5.2 million will be used for 14 information technology projects
- $4.5 million will be used for 13 park and trail projects
- $3.4 million will be used for three development studies and financing projects
- $2.4 million will be used for six transit projects
- $1.4 million will be used for 18 fire projects
- $1.3 million will be used for seven administration projects
- $0.5 million will be used for four storm water management projects
- $0.4 million will be used for two library projects
So, what else was included in the 2019 proposed budget? A recommended tax increase.
In the proposed budget the town is recommending a tax increase of $18.43 per $100,000. This represents a 2.64 per cent increase to a resident’s total tax bill (7.61 per cent for the local share only).
According to the proposed budget, “When the potential tax levy increases for the Region of Halton and Education are included, the overall increase is $24.17 per $100,000 of assessment or 3.46 per cent.”
Click here to view the Proposed Capital and Operating Budget in full.
Graphics are courtesy of the Town of Milton.
- 5 Things You Didn't Know About Woodbine Mohawk Park in Milton
- Major phone scam affecting Halton; residents warned not to call back
- VIDEO: Ron MacLean's speech on the controversy and end of Coach's Corner
- Burlington Redditor learns snowstorm parking bylaw the hard way
- More than two hundred residents affected by power outage in Burlington