Here’s What’s Happening With the Milton University
It came as a shock to many when the Ford government announced back in October of 2018 that the funding for major university expansions in Halton, Peel, and Markham had been cancelled.
This cancellation impacted the Wilfrid Laurier University campus expansion, in partnership with Conestoga College, in Milton.
However, in a press release from the town of Milton, it was made clear that Laurier plans to move forward with their intent to build a campus in the Milton Education Village (MEV).
A representative from Laurier provided an update to Milton Council on Jan. 21, 2019.
This update outlined the university’s plans to move forward.
Since the initial cancellation announcement in October, Laurier has been working with both private sector investors and community partners to pursue alternative financial support to make the Milton campus a reality.
“We are all ready to move forward, Laurier is not going away,” Milton Mayor Gord Krantz said in the press release.
“They are already here and growing in our community.”
With the strong support of Milton Economic Development, Laurier has become an important strategic partner in the highly successful MEV Innovation Centre. Laurier has had both classroom and administrative office space in the building for the last several years which has allowed the university to offer some local programing, collaborate with local businesses, and engage with the community.
Along with preparing a business case for the province, Laurier has developed a two-phased approach to bring its Milton campus to life.
Phase one is already underway, and consists of Laurier preparing to bring a mix of degree and non-degree programming to the Milton community in the winter of 2020 with classes located at the MEV Innovation Centre.
Phase two, according to the press release, will consist of the development of the MEV lands, as well as a full campus master plan and architectural design developed by Diamond Schmitt Architects.
- Oakville Residents Charged Following Municipal Election Investigation
- Desperation for Rentals Reaches Fever Pitch in Halton
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About the Ontario Racquet Club Near Oakville
- Major Delays Expected on QEW Due Construction on Burlington Skyway Bridge
- Truck Carrying a Number of Bicycles Stopped in Burlington
- BREAKING: Ford Government Cancels Major University Campus Expansion in Milton
- Here's the Latest With Milton's University Campus
- Milton Disappointed by Sudden Cancellation of University Expansion
- Here's the Latest Update With Milton's University Campus
- Update on Doug Ford’s Cancellation of Milton University Campus