Here's Where Halton Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Places
While there have been numerous stories of criminal activity that have been documented in neighbouring communities such as Brampton and Mississauga, Halton Region has historically had a lower level of crime rate, and a recent study continues to support that assessment.
According to this study done by Macleans magazine, Halton Region (Macleans only looked at Oakville and Burlington) is only the 96th most dangerous place in Canada for 2019. Below shows numbers for homicides, assault, theft and property crimes.
You can see that while sexual assaults and firearms offenses actually went up from 2018, they did not surpass the overall national average. Homicide and assaults went down.
In terms of drug offenses and youth crime, impaired driving and trafficking of other drugs increased but cannabis and cocaine trafficking went down. However, they are still below the overall national average.So it appears that Halton Region overall can be considered relatively safe in comparison to other communities across Canada. Here’s the top ten list of most dangerous cities and towns in Canada according to Macleans.What do you think about this list of Canada’s most dangerous cities? Is Halton Region in the right spot?
EDITOR’S NOTE: This article has been updated to reflect 2019 numbers from Maclean’s.
- Desperation for Rentals Reaches Fever Pitch in Halton
- UPDATE: Oakville Regional and Town Councillor Refuses to Step Down After In-Laws Charged by OPP
- Police Searching for Suspect Wanted on Warrants for Assault and Failing to Attend Court
- Oakville Residents Charged Following Municipal Election Investigation
- Top 5 Japanese Restaurants in Halton
- Here’s Where Halton Ranks on the List of Canada’s Most Dangerous Cities
- Is Halton a Good Region for Commuters?
- Halton Ranked Among Canada's Hottest Cities for Millennials
- Some Halton Restaurants Have Made it onto This National List
- Oakville Resident Charged Following Cocaine Trafficking Investigation