Human trafficking investigation in Oakville, GTA leads to charges for Markham man
Published April 14, 2023 at 9:48 am
A 32-year-old Markham man has been charged in relation to a Halton Regional Police human trafficking investigation that extended across the GTA.
The Halton police Human Trafficking Unit investigation determined that a victim was trafficked by a man over an unspecified period of time.
Police made an arrest on Thursday (April 13).
Jamil Wong, 32, of Markham, is charged with:
- Trafficking in Persons
- Receive Material Benefit Resulting from Trafficking in Persons
- Receive Material Benefit Resulting from Sexual Services
- Procuring a Person to Provide Sexual Services
- Exercising Control, Direction or Influence over the Movements of a Person
- Knowingly Advertise Sexual Services
- Sexual Assault
He was held in custody pending a bail hearing.
Investigators believe there may be additional victims and are asking anyone with information to call the Human Trafficking Unit at 905-825-4777, ext. 4983, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
The accused also goes by the nicknames “RBC” and “Royal.”
Jamil Wonginhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising