Inclement Weather Could Impact Morning Commute in Halton
While it looks like the wintery conditions are about to subside, this weekend’s terribly inclement weather could impact your Monday morning commute.
Environment Canada said a rainfall warning was in effect for Halton and Peel (Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon, Oakville, Burlington, Milton and Halton Hills) at 4:51 a.m.
Good news: Significant rainfall is gradually tapering off.
The weather agency said that the transition from freezing rain to rain could prove problematic.
Total rainfall amounts “in the 20 to 30 mm range are likely by the time it tapers off from west to east today,” Environment Canada says.
Residents are asked to clear drainage basins of ice buildup in more urban areas, as that will assist in more effective water flow and may prevent basement flooding.
“Extra care should be taken during this morning’s commute,” Environment Canada warns.
“Standing water may be potentially hazardous on poorly drained roads and highways due to the weekend ice accumulation.”
The weather agency says localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible.
Residents are reminded to keep children and pets away from creeks and river banks.
The weekend’s unprecedented ice storm caused myriad power outages and traffic collisions. On Sunday, April 15, OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt took to social media to announce that over 1,400 crashes (over 700 on both Saturday and Sunday) had been reported on OPP-patrolled roads.
Local police even went so far as to ask residents to avoid all non-essential travel.
Fortunately for winter-weary residents, temperatures are expected to inch back into the double-digits by next weekend.
Monday, April 16
- 33-Year-Old Female Driver Charged After Travelling From Milton to Oakville at Insane Speed
- Lanes Blocked on QEW Due to Tractor-Trailer Fire in Oakville
- Suspect Charged Following Burlington Shooting
- Here’s What’s Coming to Netflix Canada in September 2019
- Major Changes Planned For Services Covered by OHIP
- WEATHER WARNING: Heavy Rainfall May Impact Morning Commute in Halton
- UPDATED WEATHER STATEMENT: Significant Rainfall Continuing in Halton
- Freezing Rain Expected to Impact Morning Commute in Halton
- UPDATED WEATHER STATEMENT: 80 km/h Winds and Freezing Rain to Hit Halton
- Freezing Rain Warning In Effect for Halton