It Was the Deadliest August Long Weekend in Years: Police
The Civic Day long weekend was a deadly one in Ontario, with two children among the six people killed on OPP-patrolled roads.
There were three deaths in the Greater Toronto Area.
In addition, a 64-year-old man died after driving the wrong way (southbound) on Hwy. 404 resulted in a head-on collision with a northbound vehicle. The driver of the northbound vehicle received serious injuries in the crash.
Province-wide, a three-year-old girl died after being struck by a pick-up truck in Lambton County, while a second motorcyclist, a 52-year-old man, was killed when the motorcycle he was driving lost control near Killaloe.
A 28-year-old man succumbed to his injuries following a single vehicle crash on the shoulder of Highway 400 in Tay Township.
With its data now finalized, OPP laid 511 ‘move over’ charges during its four-day campaign. That’s up from 413 charges during the 2017 campaign and 471 charges the previous year (2016).
Overall, OPP laid 8,566 traffic-related charges over the long weekend.
A total of 5,070 charges were for speeding, with officers laying an additional 136 street racing/stunt driving charges against motorists who were caught driving more than 50 kms per hour over the posted speed limit.
In comparison, the 2017 Civic Day long weekend resulted in 8,781 charges, 5,558 of which were speeding offences and 127 of which were street racing/stunt driving offences. The 2016 campaign ended with 9,417 charges.
Speeding accounted for 5,529 of the charges and 99 charges were laid for street racing/stunt driving offences.
- Lanes Closed Due to Road Flooding in Oakville
- This 20-Unit Townhouse Development has Been Approved in Burlington
- Police Looking for Owner of Dog Believed to be Hit by Car in Burlington
- Burlington Residents Pepper Sprayed and Robbed, Police Investigating
- No Halton Restaurants Make List of Canada’s Best 100 Restaurants
- Here's How Many Speeding Charges Police Laid in 2017
- It Was a Deadly Labour Day Weekend in Ontario: Police
- Here's How Many Street Racing Charges Were Laid in Halton
- Halton Police Lay Staggering Number of Charges During Street Racing Blitz
- Here's How Many Charges OPP Laid Against Truck Drivers in One Week