Jagmeet Singh Comments On Justin Trudeau's Picture Wearing Brownface
A picture of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing brownface makeup surfaced on the internet yesterday (Sept. 18).
The picture shows Trudeau wearing brownface to an “Arabian Nights”-themed gala at West Point Grey Academy, a private school he was teaching at in Spring 2001.
According to TIME who obtained the photograph, Trudeau showed up dressed up as Aladdin, wearing a turban and robes with his face, neck and hands darkened.
Trudeau spoke to reporters about the picture later that night.
“I shouldn’t have done that. I should have known better, but I didn’t and I’m really sorry,” says Trudeau. “I take responsibility for my decision to do that. I shouldn’t have done it. I should have known better. It was something that I didn’t think was racist at the time, but now I recognize it was something racist to do and I am deeply sorry.”
According to Trudeau, this is not the only time he has wore brownface. He also wore dark makeup while performing at a talent show in high school.
NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has also released a statement about the incident.
He notes that he fought a lot of racism growing up, which many people cannot fight back. According to Singh, the image brings back feelings when people were made to feel “less than” because of their race.
“You might feel like giving up on Canada. You might feel like giving up on yourself. I want you to know that you are valued, you have worth and you are loved. And I don’t want you to give up on Canada and please don’t give up on yourself,” says Singh.
He advises citizens to come together and reach out to loved ones who may be suffering due to the image.
Here is the video of the full statement:
What do you think about the picture of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau wearing brownface makeup?
- Burlington's Walk Off The Earth releases latest viral hit ahead of Canada Day
- Cyclist taken to trauma centre after being struck by police cruiser in Milton
- What's open and closed Canada Day in Burlington, Oakville, and Milton
- Traffic stop leads to assault with weapon charge in Oakville
- Suspects arrested after carjacking attempts in Oakville and Milton
- Justin Trudeau Responds to His Picture in Brownface at 2001 ‘Arabian Nights’ Party
- Picture of Justin Trudeau in Brownface at 2001 ‘Arabian Nights’ Party Surfaces
- Justin Trudeau Still Preferred Prime Minister After Blackface Photos
- Justin Trudeau Promises To Lower Taxes and Cell Phone Bills in Halton
- CAUGHT ON VIDEO: Jagmeet Singh Told He Should Cut Turban Off to 'Look More Canadian'