Lane closures will happen (again) on the Burlington Skyway
Published September 20, 2023 at 4:57 pm
Had enough of lane closures on the Burlington Skyway?
Guess what? They are back.
According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO), the next closure of all Niagara-bound lanes will take place starting at 10 p.m. this Saturday, Sept. 23. The lanes are expected to reopen by 10 a.m. the next day.
The lane closures are needed to make repairs to the aging bridge.
During the QEW Niagara-bound closures, MTO will close these on-ramps:
- All lanes of the QEW Fort Erie-bound, beyond Northshore Blvd./ Hwy. 2 to the south of the Burlington Skyway will be closed.
- The on-ramp to QEW Fort-Erie-bound from Northshore Blvd./Hwy. 2 southbound will be fully closed.
- The on-ramp to QEW Fort Erie-bound from Plains Rd. southbound will be fully closed
- The on-ramp to QEW Fort Erie-bound from Fairview St. southbound will be fully closed
- QEW Niagara-bound collector lane split at Eastport Dr.(north-south Ramp, north of the canal), will be closed
Meanwhile, the continuing overhaul of the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge will lead to slowdowns through the same area on Eastport Dr. until early next year.
During this construction work on the lift bridge, three of the four lanes will be closed. The one remaining lane will open for alternating traffic with signalers or traffic lights.
The lift bridge will remain open for cyclists and pedestrians during this period and marine traffic will not be affected, according to Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC).
While initially the work on the bridge was expected to be completed by now, more closures may be needed in the weeks ahead to finish the repairs, according to the MTO.
This planned closure follows the unplanned one that occurred near the Skyway yesterday (Sept. 19) following a truck fire. That incident snarled traffic in Burlington and Hamilton for several hours.
inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising