Man Charged After One Person Killed and Two Others Seriously Injured in Multiple GTA Collisions
Police say they are seeking witnesses following multiple serious collisions in the GTA, including a fatal hit and run in Brampton.
Peel police say that on Friday, June 29 at approximately 1:00 am, 60-year-old Brampton man Eddie Chavez Alquinto was driving his Mazda 5 vehicle eastbound on Steeles Avenue in the area of McLaughlin Road.
His wife, 45, was a passenger in the vehicle.
Police say that, as the vehicle proceeded eastbound, it was violently struck from behind by a white Mercedes Benz, allegedly driven by 30-year-old Orangeville man Martin Hines.
Police say the impact resulted in the immediate death of Alquinto. The passenger sustained serious injuries and was transported to a Toronto trauma centre.
Police allege that the accused exited his vehicle and fled in a black vehicle taken from the scene.
According to police, the accused was eventually involved in two additional collisions in the Toronto area; one of which resulted in life threatening injuries for a 20-year-old male.
The accused was subsequently arrested by Toronto police and is being held for a bail hearing.
Police say the accused is facing multiple charges related to the collision, including dangerous driving causing death, failing to remain causing death, robbery and more.
Investigators are appealing to any witness who may have observed the accused’s driving prior to the collision or have dashboard video footage leading up to the incident.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Major Collision Bureau at (905) 453-2121, ext. 3710.
- Here’s How Much You Need to Make an Hour to Afford an Apartment in Halton
- Here's Which Roads Are Closed for the Terry Fox Run in Oakville
- Top 5 Hottest Restaurants in Oakville, Burlington, and Milton: September 8 – 14
- Road Closure Due To Serious Collision In Burlington
- House of the Week: $1.2 Mil Milton Home With Exquisite Kitchen
- Police Warn of Multiple Collisions in Major Area of Oakville
- Milton Man Accused of Dangerous Driving After Police Pursuit
- Man Accused of Ramming into Police Cruisers in Oakville Arrested
- VIDEO: Police Arrest Man Wanted in Connection with Multiple Robberies with Imitation Gun
- Multiple Collisions in Burlington Causing Major Backups