Massive Bridge Project Moves Forward in Halton
Halton Region councillors voted unanimously at the July 11 regional council meeting to support a staff recommendation that the Wyecroft Bridge project be the Region’s choice for funding by the province’s ‘Move Ontario’ Quick Wins grant program.
The Wyecroft Road extension and bridge will connect Burlington and Oakville below the QEW.
The Burloak section of Wyecroft Road will connect with the Bronte Road section of Wyecroft.
The resulting east-west regional corridor will enhance access to Bronte and Appleby GO stations, create stronger transit connections and allow for the improvement of all modes of transportation along the corridor, including bike lanes.
The Quick Wins program was introduced by the Province of Ontario in 2007 as part of its overall funding to improve public transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area through its agency, Metrolinx.
Quick Wins projects are those that would demonstrate early action on transit improvements.
“Improving the transportation of people and goods is critical for livability and productivity,” said Mayor Rob Burton in a news release.
“Today’s unanimous vote achieves success on a project that has been a part of Oakville’s plans since 1994, but the lack of consensus before today prevented progress.”
Oakville Ward 1 and Regional Councillor Sean O’Meara said residents “have long realized the need for this regional connection. This corridor will further enhance the ability to get around our Region and is a great win for all of Halton.”
Since a Municipal Class Environmental Assessment for the project is already complete and a portion of the extension has been constructed, it was Halton staff’s position that the bridge crossing would be considered investment ready.
If supported by the Ministry of Transportation’s Transit Policy Branch (MTTPB), the project will be incorporated into Halton Region’s 2019 budget and forecast and detail design, approvals, land acquisition and construction can begin.
- This Burlington Restaurant Was Named One of Canada’s Best Outdoor Dining Restaurants
- Ice Cream Sandwiches and Other Food Products Being Recalled
- These Places are Considered the Most Welcoming in Canada
- This Cookie Dough Café Has Come to Oakville
- Have Your Say on The Best Chicken Wing Flavour in Halton
- This Road Construction Project Will Add Connection from Oakville to Burlington
- Here’s How the Ontario Government is Working to Improve Transportation in Halton
- Another Massive Transit Project Planned For Ontario
- Massive Construction Project Results in Oakville Road Closure
- Oakville's Lakeshore Road Bridge is Ready to Reopen