Mercedes targetted by car thief in Oakville, Georgetown.
A man stealing used Mercedes from car dealerships is wanted by police.
A photo of a suspect in the recent string of thefts has just been released.
The most recent incident took place today (Sept. 16) at an Oakville car dealership and the earliest goes back to Sept. 8. Three have occurred in Oakville, one in Georgetown.
Police say typically the suspect will visit a dealership saying he is interested in buying a car and asks for a test drive. Because of COVID-10 policies, three times the man was allowed to test drive the car alone and then doesn't return.
In one incident, a dealership employee accompanied the man, but when a collision happened the employee got out to inspect the damage. The suspect then drove off with the car. Police believe the collision was staged with an accomplice.
The suspect is described as male, brown skin, approximately 5-foot-10, 160 lbs with a thin build, short black hair. He has been seen wearing a white face mask.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Omar Nadim of the 2 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 905-825-4747 ext. 2278.
There are precautionary measures anyone can take to reduce the likelihood of having a vehicle taken for a test drive and not returning:
- If an individual provides you with a contact phone number, call it before they leave the lot to verify that it is valid;
- If an individual requests a test drive, charge a security deposit to their credit card before they leave the lot; and
- Consider asking for suitable collateral before handing over vehicle keys to a patron.
- Be aware of someone who arrives on foot or is dropped off for a test drive, with no other means of leaving.
Halton Regional Police are searching for this man in connection with a string of car thefts
- Man wanted in dealership vehicle thefts: Halton Police
- Police Searching for Suspect Following Incident at Georgetown Superstore
- Police Investigating Slew of Recent Car Thefts in Oakville
- Police Investigate Spike in Vehicle Thefts in Georgetown
- Halton Police in Search of a Male Suspect Following an Alleged Walmart Shoplifting Incident