Milton moves to protect two historic homes on Heritage Registry

By

Published December 13, 2023 at 11:33 am

The Town of Milton plans to designate a pair of local homes under the Ontario Heritage Act.

The Jane McCann House at 94 Victoria St. and the Walter Dickin House at 200 Martin St. will both be placed on the registry that protects and preserves heritage properties.

The Jane McCann House predates by two years the incorporation of the Town of Milton in 1857. It was built for Jane McCann, whose husband, Alexander, had died in 1854. They were Irish immigrants who made a large contribution to their new home.

When Alexander died, 20 years after arriving here, the family owned 550 acres east of Guelph Line.

“The Jane McCann house, at 94 Victoria Street in the Town of Milton, is a one-storey, cut brick Regency cottage built around 1856,” reads the staff report recommending preservation.

“This home has distinctive brick pilasters at the windows and corners. The hipped roof has deep eave trim and tall windows, characteristic of this style. Initially, the nearly square plan has a small ell at the rear. This house was enlarged without overwhelming the original historic character in 1995. The property received a Heritage award in 1996 for conservation work done to a nondesignated property.”

The second property, at 200 Martin St. is a two-storey brick house that fronts onto Martin Street. The property contains a rear wing with a low hip roof. Built in 1894, the property is an example of a late Victorian house transitioning into the Edwardian architectural style.

It has the smooth red brick, minimal ornamentation and box-like, two-storey massing characteristic of the Edwardian Classicism style.

“Walter B. Dickin and his wife, Elizabeth Marie, built this house in 1894 and, likely, the barn-like structure at the rear of the property. Mr. Dickin operated a butcher business and owned a building behind Mary Street, which he used as a stable for the business.

“In 1948, Harold Graham (Paddy) Wilson became its owner. Paddy owned and operated a butcher shop on Main St. and a slaughterhouse on the outskirts of the town. Mr. Dickin and Mr. Wilson’s names are honoured on this house by the Historical Society of Milton Plaque program.”

Both properties’ current owner has voluntarily responded to the heritage designation program and desires their property be designated.

inhalton's Editorial Standards and Policies advertising