Milton Residents Warned About Sump Pumps
Sump pump incidents are prompting a warning to residents from the Milton Fire Department.
“Another Milton homeowner awakened during the night to the sound of his smoke alarm, which alerted him to a sump pump on fire in his basement,” reads a new released issued by the Town on Wednesday.
“Thanks to a working smoke alarm and the fire being extinguished quickly, there was a happy conclusion to this story.”
The MFD is urging residents to follow safety guidelines for sump pumps and ensure they have a submersible sump pump as the safest choice instead of the stem or column type which was involved in this latest incident.
Fire crews frequently respond to potentially serious incidents of sump pumps overheating in residential homes.The severity of these incidents can result in thousands of dollars in financial losses for home owners or occupants, not to mention serious injury or death.
Sump pump recommendations:
- Choose a submersible pump as a safer alternative instead of a stem or column style of pump.
- Keep the area around the pump free of all combustibles.
- Ensure supply pipes to the pump are clear of clogs; the pit should be free of debris and the pump should kick on and off as intended.
- Check sump pumps before it rains, at least once in the fall and once in the spring. Use a garden hose or a bucket of water to fill up the sump and make sure the pump starts, runs properly, drains water properly, and then switches off.
- Keep submersible pumps level and column/stem pumps vertical.
- Ensure the motor is not tilted as that may cause damage from internal overheating.
- If there’s any suspicion of malfunction with your sump pump, call for an inspection.
Photo courtesy of the Town of Milton
- Police Search for Suspects Following Breast Pump Incident in Burlington
- Here’s What We Know About a New Restaurant Coming to Oakville
- Feds offer help to companies to retool, pump out COVID-19 medical gear
- This New Restaurant Has Officially Opened in Oakville
- Milton Fire Department Investigating Fire at Daisy Mart Convenience Store